It’s interesting how some people react negatively to any and all “supplements.” Even when it’s something totally natural and relatively commonplace, the very fact that it is now powered (or pilled) and marketed as a supplement turns it into something frightening and even dangerous in their minds. Some even experience this phenomenon when it comes to whey protein – a protein found in countless dairy products that most people probably enjoy on a daily basis.
Of course, not all whey is created equal. And some is just plain terrible. So, then, here are five reasons that you should be using organic whey protein – an option that offers all the benefits without any of the added concerns.
- Improved Nutrition – As mentioned, whey is a rich source of protein. Specifically, it is a complete protein – meaning that it contains all the amino acids that your body cannot create all by itself. But whey is so much more than it’s protein. There are tons of healthy micronutrients and… wait for it…. fats in there. Fats?! Yes, healthy fats. They do exist. In fact, omega-3 and conjugated linoleic fatty acids are found in higher concentrations in organic, grass-fed whey protein than in products derived from grain-fed cows.
- Improved Taste – Let’s be honest, lots of whey protein powders out there aren’t the most appetizing things you can image. Grass-fed whey, however, is thicker, creamer and just generally more delicious. And, if something tastes better, you’re much more likely to actually eat it.
- No Artificial Additives – Of course, this isn’t strictly true of all “organic” whey proteins, but it should be. For some companies, organic simply refers to how the whey was produced before they got their hands on it. At that point, all sorts of artificial flavorings, dyes, preservatives and such get thrown in the mix. Which basically ruins a great thing. Companies shouldn’t do this. And Gnarly doesn’t.
- Muscle Growth and Recovery – When you exercise, you are actually damaging your muscles – although the damage is microscopic. Still, your body has to repair itself. Fortunately, it decides that, in order to be better prepared for the next workout, your muscles need to be bigger and stronger. But your body needs to already be in possession of the necessary raw materials for this project to be successful. Organic whey protein – as a complete protein – gives your body those raw materials.
- Weight Loss – Since most people take whey with the hopes of building muscle, it might seem counter-intuitive to think of it as a weight loss aid. But, the science is solid on this. By making use of a number of different mechanism, whey protein can help stimulate fat loss. Some studies have even shown that adding organic whey protein to a diet that is already designed for weight loss, increases the efficacy.