Born in Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, Gnarly exists to create the highest quality sports nutrition products for all levels of performance. Nutrition that helps push through the failure, amplify grit, and celebrate messy triumphs.
That’s where our passion lies: in progressing each athlete’s best, from the inside out. We are here for the long training runs, summit days, new PRs, and every day in between. Our unequivocal commitment is to science-backed nutrition, delivered through transparent, natural, straightforward ingredient standards and rigorous product testing. Gnarly’s full line features science-backed products free of hormones, GMOs, proprietary blends, antibiotics, or anything artificial.
Events & Partnerships manager
You’ll find Gnarly Nutrition online, in climbing gyms, running shops and, perhaps most importantly, on the courses and at the events of many of our partners. Partners that include USA Climbing, Vacation Races, Aravaipa, and more.
Our event presence is more than just advertising and handing out freebies – our team has spent countless nights staying up until the morning hours to support and fuel ultramarathoners, pep them up with loud music and yes, occasionally dance around in unicorn costumes to keep the athletes’ spirits up (make sure to ask Tim about that one). We’ve supplied hydration and nutrition to Olympic hopefuls who can trust our NSF Certified products to help them maintain peak performance in training and on competition day. We’re also the folks behind the coolers helping cyclists and triathletes find their favorite flavors and keep moving – we’ll even chop up some fresh fruits and make PB&J’s while we’re there!
And now, we want to do more.
We’re looking for an Events and Partnerships Manager that can manage the staffing, organization, and growth of our event presence and grassroots partnerships. This person will enjoy traveling (especially if they’re not based in SLC, where Gnarly HQ is) and can expect to do so 30-50% of the time, depending on the season.
The right candidate identifies as an extreme extrovert that loves building relationships and working with teams big and small to bring Gnarly Nutrition to their participants. They’re organized, and can visualize potential traffic flow just by looking at a booth space floor plan. They don’t mind getting into the details of event planning, and showing up wherever needed to support and train event staff. They can crunch numbers for product orders, and they’re also visually creative enough to contribute to the conversation about needed swag, materials, and branding for events and partners.
This role will report to the Director of Marketing, but will also work closely with the Director of Sales, and will be considered a functioning member of both teams. We’re not really sure where the blurry line between the two falls these days anyways, and it’ll make our coffee meetings more fun.
Compensation & perks
- $55,000 – $65,000 depending on location and experience.
- Health benefits including medical, vision and dental coverage.
- Generous employee discount on product, as well as industry gear discounts.
- Flexible hours around a core workday. We don’t mind midday workouts, picking your kids up from school, or running errands. We believe in comp time after working weekend and evening events. Teammates based in SLC split their time between remote and in-office.
- We genuinely enjoy each other, so we try to make time every month to hang out, brainstorm, plot our world takeover, and pet each other’s dogs. (Dogs welcome in the SLC office, cats must pass a non-a**hole test. Reptiles ok, we’ve already got a snake in the family. Mice should run.)
- Preference given to those who currently live in SLC, or spend a lot of time in, the Wasatch Front Range.
- Develop, manage, and execute the Gnarly Nutrition event and sponsorship strategy across the country (and one day, beyond!)
- Build and maintain new & existing grassroots community relationships.
- Develop a program strategy for coaches and local groups that would benefit from Gnarly Nutrition.
- Work with retailers and partners to develop in-person and virtual opportunities for nutrition and supplements education catered toward their target audience.
- Partner with marketing & sales to develop annual consumer-facing community event strategy and calendar that supports both our retail and direct-to-consumer sales channels.
- Oversee all consumer-facing events, sponsorships, B2B events, and sales meetings. (We solemnly swear not to make you plan every holiday party and happy hour, though…)
- Develop a hiring plan, and train part-time staff with the Director of Sales to represent Gnarly Nutrition at events our internal staff cannot attend.
- Ensure all external staff are well-prepared to discuss the finer points of the Gnarly Nutrition product line.
- Schedule and coordinate people needed in the organization/planning and execution of any event – both internal and external.
- Continually seek to improve Gnarly’s event presence.
- Act as a primary contact for our partners, as well as a link between on-the-ground staff and internal offices while on the road.
- Work closely with the larger marketing team to carry our brand throughout each event, and ensure resources (including Gnarly nutrition clinics and athletes) are being used consistently and to maximum ability.
- Work closely with our athlete team manager to secure athlete and ambassador attendance at events where their experience and knowledge will add value.
- Lead ideation and project management of in-store and event collateral.
- Define and track metrics to measure event and partnership impact.
Is this you?
- 2-5 years of event management.
- Partner and sponsorship experience preferred.
- Seasonal staff management experience is a plus.
- BA or equivalent number of years work experience.
- Extroverted, energetic, and a people-person.
- Empathetic and able to converse and pinpoint the true needs of event attendees – we believe in education first, product (if it’s the right fit) later.
- Impeccable communication skills.
- Stellar project management skills, and ability to manage multiple events and needs across many avenues and timelines.
- Detail-oriented, down to the day-of schedule and checklists.
- Access to a reliable vehicle a plus.
- Ability to occasionally stay up into the wee hours of the night, cheering on racers as they face what might be the most challenging physical moment of their lives.
- Desire to help athletes at all levels PUSH THEIR POSSIBLE!
- Ability to sit and/or drive for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel domestically utilizing various methods of transportation.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Comfortable driving a van.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
equal employment opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.