Staying properly fueled throughout the day is a key aspect of good nutrition. Whether you’re out on a full day venture in the mountains or just running between back-to-back meetings, having the right snacks on hand can make all the difference in how you feel and perform.
Even if you meal prep food for the week, those mid-day munchies can get the best of you. Instead of grabbing a sugary bag of pre-made trail mix or a handful of granola bars, try making your own snacks. This chocolate dusted trail mix is about as easy as it gets, and it’s packed with ingredients that are a perfect pick-me-up throughout the day. With a touch of natural sugars from dried cranberries and manuka honey, and over 45 grams of protein in a batch, it’s the cure for afternoon slumps. And, if you want to make this recipe 100% vegan, just swap out honey for maple syrup.
Making your own trail mix is also a great way to make your diet a little more eco-friendly. Instead of grabbing small single-use plastic bags of snacks, make this recipe in bulk and store it in a glass container. When it’s time to head out the door, just stash the amount you want for the day in a reusable bag.
Easy chocolate dusted trail mix
¼ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup almonds
½ cup walnuts
½ cup cashews
½ cup unsweetened or apple juice sweetened dried cranberries
1 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp manuka honey
Pinch sea salt
- Place sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, cashews and cranberries in a large reusable bag.
- Heat coconut oil and manuka honey over low heat just until melted. Stir to mix ingredients together, and set aside.
- Pour one scoop of Gnarly Vegan Chocolate Protein powder into the trail mix bag. Seal and shake a few times to mix.
- Open the bag and pour coconut oil mixture inside. Add a pinch or two of sea salt, seal, and shake for 30 seconds or trail mix is evenly coated.
- Enjoy right away or save for later. Keep in the refrigerator for optimal freshness.
Makes about 2 ½ cups of trail mix.