No matter how much we focus on starting the day out right with a good breakfast, there’s bound to be days where cooking a big breakfast is out of the question. Rather than just grabbing a cup of coffee or resorting to something pre-packaged, try stocking your kitchen with a quick bite that still has the nutrition you need. These muffins might taste like your usual lemon poppy seed confection, but they pack a hidden punch. Thanks to a mix of Gnarly Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder, greek yogurt, and oat flour, each muffin has about five and a half grams of protein in it- not bad for something that tastes like a morning dessert!
If you’re prepping for a busy week, make a batch of these muffins and store them in the refrigerator for optimal freshness. The citrusy flavors will start your morning off on a refreshing note!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with a Citrus Ghee Glaze
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup oat flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup melted coconut oil
⅔ cup sugar
2 eggs or egg substitute
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup plain greek yogurt
½ tablespoon poppy seeds
Citrus Ghee Glaze:
1/2 Tablespoon poppy seeds
Juice of ½ a lemon
2 Tablespoons melted ghee
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin pan with ghee, butter, or oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Gnarly Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder, oat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, sugar, eggs, greek yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry mixture and mix well. Stir in ½ tablespoon of poppy seeds.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of muffin mixture into each of the muffin cups. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, make the citrus glaze. Mix together remaining poppy seeds, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of melted ghee.
- Once muffins are cooked through, remove from the oven. Brush the tops of the muffins with the citrus glaze and let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.
Makes 12 muffins.